My Mom has been making this amazing recipe since I was a kid. I was craving them a while ago and called her up to see if she remembered her recipe and of course she did. I made them that night and they are just as good as I remembered. They are rich and buttery and most definitely NOT for the weak of heart! Try them for yourself, I promise you won't be disappointed!!!
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 pkgs yeast
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm buttermilk
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, oil & buttermilk.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Add the flour & stir well.
- Turn out on floured surface & knead as if making biscuits.
- Roll out to 1/2 in thick & cut with biscuit cutter & place on well greased cookie sheet.
- Add a small pat of butter in the middle of each one & fold it over.
- Cover & put in a warm spot for 30 minutes to 3 hrs.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes.
- Then I brushed mine with honey butter but that's optional.